Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Hey, can you steer me to a kickass sandwich?

FCA Day #6The Historic Steer-In    5130 E. 10th Street, Indianapolis, IN 46219







 "Today a big fat meatball sandwich just fell out of heaven... "  Bob

Bob seems to be our point man for finding great locations.  When he sent me the web link
to this restaurant I thought "It looks like a post office".   It's been around since the 50's in one form or another, and has seemingly kept its family owned feel all this time.  It had this classic genuine diner written all over it, and the staff treated us like we lived down the street.


Ian loves his reubens, kinda like I enjoy my onion rings.  It came with a nice portion of corned beef, leveled with sourkraut and topped with swiss - that's typical reuben fare.  Accompanied by a pickle and some potato chips, it was a little lackluster in its appearance, but the taste is what counts, and Ian was impressed in that area.




I decided on the Brisket Sandwich and was pleasantly surprised.  Served on sourdough, it had a very generous portion of brisket, which was VERY VERY tasty.  With sauteed onions and little of the Steer In's homemade horsey sauce, this was one of the best brisket sandwiches I have had in recent memory.  The horsey sauce was just awesome, burned the nasal cavities if you took too much so it gained my respect as the meal went on.  LOL.  I also used it to dip my fries in place of ketchup.  I also have to mention that as our server presented my meal she mentioned that another plate of fries was coming to me to supplement the half dozen that were on my plate.
 



Brad, still on his quest for low-carb eating, ordered two burgers minus the buns.  His first was the chili burger which had a surprisingly large amount of chili on top and was his favorite of the day, and second came the sunrise burger with bacon, cheddar and an egg over-easy.  




Bob wanted something a little "manly" and ordered up a meatball sandwich.  I must admit after seeing it I was kinda jealous.  The meatballs were large, seasoned and moist, nestled in a savory marinara and topped with a shitload of mozzarella.  All dropped into a perfectly toasted bun, I was drooling nearly as much as Bob.  Bob was heard throughout the afternoon repeatedly saying to anyone near him "I feel really good. Just really good!"


I would not say the Steer-In has something no one else has to offer, but what they do offer is pretty good diner fare through and through.  You get a great tasting meal at a good price (about 10 bucks incl drink).  I would definitely revisit, especially since there were several items on the menu that I wanted to try.  The main highlight for me was the homemade horsey sauce.  I'd love to have the recipe for that!


The Scale:
  Ian: Meal: 8, Experience: 8
  Bryan:  Meal: 8.5, Experience: 8
  Brad: Meal: 7, Experience: 8
  Bob: Meal: 9, Experience: 8

No comments:

Post a Comment