Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Peppy Grill... not so peppy.

FCA Day #7Peppy Grill    1004 Virginia Ave, Indianapolis, IN 46203


 

"Hey man, got a dollah?  I'm homeless..."   Homeless man (seen in picture)

He went through single file, muttering "Hey man, got a dollah?  I'm homeless..." half-heartedly to each of us as we walked to Peppy Grill.  Now, I do not make a habit of giving people my money just because they ask for it, but even if I did, I live my life with a piece of plastic.  No cash in my wallet, so the guy was outta luck before luck even came into the equation.
 
After our 'urban encounter', we managed to squeeze ourselves into this little place that is Peppy Grill.  We sat at a little table in the small add-on section you see in the foreground of the picture, which was unfortunate because we did not get to experience the true nature of the original building. 

Our server was gracious and loved to chat us up...  all about the port chops.  He loved those pork chops so freakin much that we all ended up going for it.  I get the feeling he needed to move that meat.

As we waited for our food, I looked out the window and noticed some dude parallel park between a Lexus and a Camry.  He proceeded to back in, slam the Camry (apparently he uses the car behind him to tell him when he has to stop), then pull forward and slam the Lexus in the rear.  Then he simply got out of his car and walked into the building right next to his car!  Sitting next to me was a table full of Sherrif's officers who, of course, ignored the whole thing because they were eating lunch.  This is why I give props to Ian for driving his vehicle on these Fancy excursions!   We three owe him a debt of gratitude!

When our food was finally served (it took a while) I was a little underwhelmed.  Basic thin onion rings (frozen kind), a side of potato salad, and a single pork chop that looked like it needed a friend, especially for the $10 bucks I just paid for it.  The rings were not up to snuff; too greasy and soggy.  The potato salad was not bad, mustard style and fresh.  The pork chop, was exploding with flavor, perhaps too much flavor (aka salt).  I saw it as perhaps overseasoned, but the other guys seemed to appreciate that fact and gave it pretty high marks.


Bob, Ian, and Brad each had their chop served with breakfast.

Bob:

Brad:

I get the feeling that "plating" is not Peppy's specialty.  Everything had that appearance of a backyard get together with the neighborhood association - sparse and simple. Occasionally I would see this as a bonus, a nice change from the typically over-loaded plates of today's chain restaurants, but not this time.  This was basic fare that struggled to impress.  I just never got that "good feeling" when the plate was put in front of me.  Hard to explain, but I do not think I would return to Peppy Grill.  There are so many other places for us to get our fix.


The Scale:
  Ian: Meal: 7, Experience: 7
  Bryan:  Meal: 6.5, Experience: 7
  Brad: Meal: 8, Experience: 7
  Bob: Meal: 7, Experience: 7 

3 comments:

  1. I'd give the experience a higher mark. I mean, it's not everyday that you get to experience not one, but two fender-benders (at the hands of the same guy, I might add) to entertain you, during a meal. Now THAT'S going the extra mile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peppy Grill is good for late night. If you ever go back, try the sour cream fries, they are really good. Its one of those places you just have to experience in the right mindset (drunk) and the people that work there are very nice and you'll always find someone to talk to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will agree that the guy who served us was very friendly. We chatted with him for quite a while. Sour cream fries sounds like an awesome late night (drunk) snack!

    ReplyDelete