Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Winter is coming... Bring out the stew!

FCA Day #9John's Famous Stew    1146 Kentucky Avenue, Indianapolis, Indiana



"Bobby!  Bobby, God dammit!  I need some refills over here!"  waitress


John's Famous Stew...  Just the name gets me all excited.  

We had purposefully delayed visiting this restaurant until it was nice and cold outside.  And when it hit 15F, we decided it was time.  It was a fairly long drive to get there from the north side, but as you will read, it was more than worth the drive.


This place is a dive.  Really.  It fits the description perfectly.  Tightly packed tables, no windows to be seen.  It was like walking into complete chaos - the kind you know that will give you great food.  John's Famous Stew was already full when we got there around noon, with just a single table left empty which we grabbed asap.  The menu was fairly extensive, but when our waitress came by she took our orders immediately "What you having, hon?  Stew?  You having stew too?  Stew for you?  And you?"  OK, so apparently we are not supposed to look at the menu and just get the stew!  LOL

I had heard of their famous Tenderloin Supreme - a massive tenderloin drenched in stew - so I ordered that.  Bob followed suit with the tenderloin, almost giggling like a child.  Brad had a bowl of spicy stew (their stew comes in three levels of spiciness) with some onion rings.  Ian also had a bowl of spicy stew.

It did not take too long for the food to be served up.  Bowls were filled to the brim, steaming and accompanied by bread.  The tenderloin was impressive, honestly the largest I have ever seen, and was still thick!  I was in love immediately.  There is nothing I would change, no way to make this any better, no way to improve...

The Tenderloin Supreme:
 
Bob inhaled his tenderloin, being as impressed as I.  He kept looking over at me with wide eyes and nodding in approval, his mouth stuffed.

The only hiccup in the lunch was that Ian's and Brad's stew came out not spicy - they got medium instead.  The waitress quickly brought out a full bowl of spicy gravy to mix in.  This helped the situation greatly but still affected the ratings from them both

Brad's Stew and rings: 

 

While the tenderloin had mainly just gravy poured over it, the full bowls of stew were full of thickly chopped veggies and beef.  It reminded me of my Mom's stew as I was growing up.  

Vishal was able to come with us this week, and he did not get the stew...  he ordered a grilled chicken sandwich... That kinda blew my mind, but he has never eaten beef, so perhaps his introduction to beef should be a little on the easier side like a burger or something.  He did, however, very much so enjoy the sandwich.
I cannot wait to go back to John's Famous Stew.  That is all I can say.  I am still thinking about it and would go back today (two days later) if I was able.  I have to give this restaurant a 10 rating for the food.  I try to find a reason not to, but that reason does not exist.


The Scale:
  Ian: Meal:8, Experience: 8
  Bryan:  Meal: 10, Experience:9
  Brad: Meal: 8, Experience: 9
  Bob: Meal: 9, Experience: 9
   Vishal: Meal: 8, Experience: 8

1 comment:

  1. Makes me wish I lived closer to Indy. As it stands, it's about a 6 1/2 hour drive with the family... probably 5 hours without. Perhaps, someday, my photography will bring me in the area. If it does? I just might have to drop by John's for some fuel and inspiration!

    ReplyDelete