Monday, March 11, 2013

Ralph's Great Divide succeeds in dividing opinions

FCA Day #10:  Ralph's Great Divide    743 East New York Street, Indianapolis, IN

"Nothing beats a good cream pie."  Ian

This place has some history. Located downtown in the Lockerbie area, Ralph's Great Divide provides reliable food for reasonable prices to loyal patrons. The talkative waitress gave us a history lesson when I asked about the place. Apparently, the older part of the building pre-dates the Civil War. It had been a carriage repair shop. The "newer" portion was added on around the turn of the 1900s, and became a pub. Then in 1982, it morphed into its current state, a restaurant names "The Great Divide". Neat.



Cool history is great and all, but how's the food? So glad you asked! I started with a serviceable salad:



In the ongoing quest to find low-carb options at such establishments (yeah, I know, shut up), I opted for the rib tips and a cup of loaded chili. The skewered tips were only okay. Not a lot of flavor, and not very filling. The chili was good, not great, but made slightly better with onions, jalapenos, cheese, and sour cream.



Vishal started with some macaroni salad. His review was "is okay".




Then Vishal's main course came out. An enormous club sandwich. I was jealous. He seemed happy.




Bryan and Ian ordered the German potato salad.  Both agreed it was different than expected (served warm and with a tinge of vinegar), but pretty tasty nonetheless.




The other fellas mostly got Tips and Aug, which is the rib tips served with an apparently amazing tasting potato soup/stew concoction.
  


Except for Bob. Bob got some sort of blurry bleu cheese burger on what bread that was apparently quite tasty.




For dessert, Ian and Bryan both got slices of the signature Coconut Cream Pie. I sampled a taste of Ian's it was phenomenal. I agreed with Ian's assessment, truly, nothing beats a good cream pie. Yeah, I said it.
I was still hungry at the end, so I, uh, ordered another cup of loaded chili. For dessert. Don't judge me.

Overall I thought the food I ordered was slightly above mediocre, but it looked like the others had better luck. The place itself is pretty awesome. Loads of character.

The Scale:
  Ian: Meal:8, Experience: 8
  Bryan:  Meal: 7.5, Experience: 8
  Brad: Meal: 6, Experience: 9
  Bob: Meal: 8.5, Experience: 8
   VishalMeal: 8, Experience: 8 

No comments:

Post a Comment